Something (will) happen

Since finishing uni a couple of months ago (though it seems like an age) I'm getting restless having not made anything. Plenty ideas; little room, little time and with my practice of video -  little of other people's time. So, I'm proposing some sort of video group. I have many loose ideas (most I've yet to properly develop past the planning stage) but very little ways to share or create them. Kit? Craig? John? Anyone else interested? Richard Wainman would have to be included cos he's the man...

Obviously the difficulty is having to live; which means much work and so colliding time schedules. I've been trying to collaborate with Richard locally though I've since met with him once since finishing uni. Though this can be held to lack of enthusiasm, being in the "what to do now?" phase. I don't feel I need a studio to make work - more so people.

So I propose anyone interested in video work - be they films, shorts, experimental, anything obscure - especially if it's for sake of learning how to do certain things (effects, genres, methods etc). I shall be up in Glasgow for a few days from August 15th so perhaps we could meet up and sort something then? My idea for this is exchanging ideas, scripts, artists, film makers, even imdb trivia- all this can be done via internet - but hopefully when time and ideas meet, let's get together and make something. I'm sure between us we can conjure up equipment, beg, borrow, steal. I managed to make all my films in year3 without Uni equipment - so it can be done easily enough.

The French New Wave began with a zine and David Lynch's Eraserhead took 5years to complete (with Jack Nance keeping that stupid hairdo for whenever schedules cleared and money came together).

So anyone interested?



I am also looking for a good excuse to perform again...

Nathan

7 comments:

  1. I would be interested in collaborating in some video work. Actually I was thinking about arranging a colab video piece amongst the group. I was thinking - A video in which one of records five minutes of footage and then passes it on to another member of the group who adds their own five minute of footage repeating this process until everyone taking part has recorded five minutes. A bit like a Chinese whisper and we can see what we get at the end. I think the only rule could be that each five minutes is inspired or vaguely related to the previous five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds pretty good man! i really want to keep up projects and have things circulating. Could be good to learn from each other also. The rules would have to be set so it doesnt become an incoherent jumble. would it be a narrative arc developed and interpretad by each member? if the rules are inspired or related that could make something difficult and abstract, like that idiot mr brainwash made for banksy - life through remote control. though perhaps this could be the intention? Perhaps it needs a Manifesto like um...Manifesto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah I think it becomes to contrived if there are rules applied, it should be a free flowing organic entity. An incoherent jumble is not always a bad thing, it would be an accurate representation of what is inspiring members of the group. By being inspired or referencing parts of the movie a narrative is instantly created is it not? I don't think there should be any agenda behind this apart from its an experimental collaboration between the group that spans the length of the England and parts of Scotland. That idea is very interesting in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in for the video group! (heck, I've even got my own one, haha)

    The Exquisite Corpse idea is a decent plan, but five minutes each is a long time - I reckon a minute or 1:30 is better. What's the theme, how long do we each have to make and send our respective bits, how does it start and where does it end? This calls for a manifesto...

    I'm definitely up for a visit to Glasgow around the 15th too, need to hand some CVs out.

    Oh, and I've just bought an old video camera for myself off eBay; whether it works is another matter - I shall report back...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's an online video collaboration I enjoyed recently from the "YouTube poop" genre:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFkZHzhM9tU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry John I should have posted up the brief before now....

    I was speaking with Nathan about this and we kinda agreed that a manifesto is not need and any rules should be limited as we want it to be an organic structure that illustrates what we are interested in at the moment. I want to stay away from making the videos about something a contrived meaning behind the whole piece when really at the moment it is essentially an experiment, it's kinda like a video version of Manifesto Zine no over all concept but each submission is free to comment on whatever. The only rule I would suggest is that each segment should be inspired by the previous segment, it is up to you how strict you want to be with that. The way that it is going to work is Nathan will make his bit then pass it on to me to which it then goes to wainman then it can go off to you John and probably up to Kit. If anyone else has a video camera and want to take part Kit can then send it off to you. The last person to do their bit then sends it to everyone or posts it up on youtube. Does this make sense? You're free to do whatever you want basically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Nathan is going to post up more about it at some point he will probably make more sense of it all than I will.

    ReplyDelete