On Originality....


As artists we often state that we are interested in this or that theme or phenomenon, often these are very banal and I sometimes wonder how much truth there is in this. How much of this is related to either seeking some post-production intellectual justification for what you have made or, and I think more commonly, trying to mark out a piece of territory that hasn’t been too extensively covered already? Are we truly interested in things that are commonly ignored or are we more honestly interested in making art that has some claim to originality and merely use the former as a means toward this end? 


This is just a short extract from something I've been writing, I'm not sure what I think about this really and thought maybe it could spark a bit of debate amongst the collective?
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment