Falkirk 1918 (Present Day)

Just thought I would share this story with everyone just to demonstrate the kind of thing I have to put with around here on a daily basis. It does make me laugh and feel superior though.

I was in the studio yesterday and I was asked to help clean out the workshop, which i did. As a reward for helping I got the pick of the stuff that was getting thrown out, so I got my hands on the best of the boards and materials. Amongst the boards was this grotesque oil painting of some rich auntie that was commissioned years ago, apparently valued at over a grand. Thanks I am having that!.

Naturally as you do with all portraits that have some sort of value, I drew on the token moustache. Hung up the portrait on the wall  with the caption,  Howcome ugly gals get pregnant? (this is a running statement in a series of observational drawings I have been doing of Falkirk) written really crudely on a warped plank of wood. In a tribute to Duchamp and in particular Rrose Selavy, I nailed up another plank of wood, this time with FEMMEAGE writen on it.

Anyway this action cause an outrage amongst the people "artists" in the studio so much that upon arrival at the studio the work had been taken down by the guy who owns the studios! Which makes me think, what kinda place is this where the work of Marcel Duchamp never happened or is not recognisable. My first thought after I had created the work was Ah it has been done! but meh. So if we ever do have a show in Falkirk which I think is something really worth thinking about as the space above my studio is huge! remember to turn your watches back to 1918 to a time before a moustache was drawn on the Mona Lisa.

Sadly there are no photographs of this delightful femmeage to Duchamp as the cameras are not widely available in 1918.

Craig

2 comments: