Re: Cinema

If sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots and rereleases are for purpose of bringing something new from an old franchise to a modern audience then why must everything used within the production be excessively modern?

The other week I set out for the cinema to find a simple evening’s viewing; there I found Fright Night (2011) was only playing in 3D. “2D in selected cinemas”. With that, the notion of a night at the cinema was hastily rejected. The next day I noticed an independent cinema showcasing Gillian Wearing's brilliant film, Self Made (2011). For half the price and the “two dimensions” I received triple the emotional experience of the last dozen commercial films I have seen in the cinema. Now I’m not at all suggesting the cliché that cinema is running low on ideas, rather I feel it’s pushing too far forward and missing the point. 

Of all recent 3D films, Tron (1982) is an understandable upgrade. Revisiting a film centred on submergence within A.I. from 20years previous - Tron Legacy (2010) sure demonstrates astounding progress in technological capabilities utilising high definition, a wider aspect ratio, surround sound, CGI and “state of the art” 3D technology. It makes perfect sense. Although everything about Tron Legacy bar the audio/visuals seems to fail, I feel it a valid piece of cinema. Though the plot may be questionable, its merit and most obviously its intentions lie within the context of rapidly developing technology and more specifically, viewing experience. As the French movement “Cinema du look”, favoured style over substance, one must wonder if Hollywood’s indulgence of 3D and viewing experience is amidst a similar wave favouring visual over visceral.


Looking at the trailer for prequel, The Thing (2011), we are to understand this film is set before the events of John Carpenter’s The Thing from 1982. Clothing, technology and sets are faithfully recreated as to keep in with the time period of the original; even similar effects and makeup that defined the original have been put to use – albeit being heavily manipulated with CGI of course. The survival aspect of The Thing (1982) benefits from obscured vision through blizzards, darkness and wonderful (mis)direction by John Carpenter, each element alluding to the core factor of The Thing: not all is quite as it appears. Therefore the pairing of these two surely brings a paradox. Chronologically, we watch a modern version of older events in HD, within a wider format utilising stunning CGI, while The Thing (1982) looks dated through camera quality alone. One accepts the films are divided by 29 years, though as the basis of the alien antagonist is imitation, I feel a great opportunity has been lost for the prequel to imitate its original by utilising the same form of camera and film. Perhaps this would make the 29 year gap seamless and create a better film and overall a better series? 


I'm sure a number of directors have dabbled in this area yet rarely commited to a full deskilled film. Those that come to mind are purposefully trashy films, those being Grindhouse (2007) and Black Dynamite (2009). Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds (2009) uses an archaic Paramount logo within the opening credits, immediately setting a scene without having even showing a single still of his own work. More recently with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) I often noted the camera looked somewhat dated and noisy in some respects. Looking round at the viewing audience I was clearly the youngest there by 20+years. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is evidently not a film aimed at drawing audiences through visual effects more so those who enjoyed the original novel and series back in 1970s.

More commonly in home releases, visualisation and restoration are pushed unnecessarily. I don’t quite want to argue anything over tweaking existing films to such extents as Star Wars and the fantastic spoof "re-re-re-release" more so the picture/film quality. Talking to an acquaintance he held arrogance over me for possessing the film Withnail & I (1987), in Blu-Ray format. He claimed “you can see the dirt better”. A black comedy focused on drugs and despair benefits from lacking an acute picture. If the central characters are constantly drugged, paranoid, without foresight and with delusions of grandeur, then how would high definition benefit the film? And that’s not to mention the underlying theme that is the setting in the fall of the sixties with uncertainty laying in wait. Furthermore it seems paradoxical and almost illogical to view this 80’s movie set in the 60’s, restored and formatted with the technology of the 10’s. But then, one has to ask; how else will future audiences see this film once DVDs become archaic? 

Though what irony is my ignorance when of course the original release of Withnail and I would have been through VHS (I would have been much too young to notice a film like this back in the day). This led me to think; home entertainment is the adverse effect of old exploitation films. The more home releases the more improved the quality and the more screenings of exploitations films, the more the diminishing the quality. Or is that the other way around? Do we lose or improve the quality of an aged film by restoring it? One might pontificate that it is merely preservation, in a similar way priceless paintings are restored. 


Similar arguments can be posed against music. I imagine many people have updated their collection through vinyl, cassette, CD and now digital downloads. Though while many would pride themselves to owning a film on Blu-Ray as opposed to a DVD or VHS, I take solace that a large percentage would much rather prefer an age old vinyl to the digital download.

Nathan

8 comments:

  1. I feel slightly confused; your title, re:cinema is about remakes which are screened at the cinema box office, where as re-releases are an updated version of an original film, yet you seem to brand the two in one. Perhaps this comes from a cynical view, although not articulated in this text, that they are both purely made for capital gain? Which I would be inclined to agree with. Anyway, I think there must be a distinction between a remade, re-imaged, redirected, re-enacted, re-edited film for cinema, and a released (or updated) media file for private use.

    The updating of technology allows the circulation of ever heightened resolution, which you compared to the restoration of a painting. This seems fitting, the restoration of a painting only redeems what was originally there – the heightened resolution only shows what was originally captured on film... no?

    Jacques Ranciere in the future of the image, talks about this growing resolution, and the making 'real' of images, as a negative. He sees the image as a thing of the imagination, almost illusionary – not as a documentation of the real – in which case the bringing closer to 'reality' only destroys the image. At least, thats what I think he said – I cant be bothered finding quotes.


    Thanks for posting!

    P.S. You do know that John Carpenter's Thing was a remake of the 1951 film, the thing from another world surely? Oh sorry, nathan, your not called shirley are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title isn't necassarily important. I was trying to create a double meaning of "re-release" and in the abbreviation "re" as used in emails - the back and forth. Evidently it didn't work...nevermind

    I tried not to mention money because practically every film is released with financial gain and don't get my started on special/ultimate/deluxe releases!

    I'm branding both remakes and re-releases the same because they both differ and offer something else from the original. While writing this text I had in mind that films once released should be set and given no change and no movement. Perhaps to me once a film is tweaked in someway it becomes a different film? As in perhaps the X-Men 2.5 DVD - an extended cut with a different title (perhaps being a little anal here...). Also the "Han shot first" issue which makes me think there is a slight (but not much) difference between updating and remaking. Han to the 70s fan is a cold rogue, while to modern fans Han is a hero who did what he had to do. Re-releases are often shown in cinemas. Lion King 3D is surely for financial gain? Having not seen it I can't quite judge. It seems a peculiar choice anyway, a flat, old 2D animation. To me a film like Lion King is appealing as to the classic style of animation.

    I'd agree to an extent about a distinction being made between films when it comes to cinema and home releases. Extended editions to me tend to offer more context and the changing times than enhance the story line. My mind is always a step out of the story because of this. "Where they aiming at a certain certificate? Did they run out of time? Why edit down his scenes?" Its a very fascinating process if you know the orginal, in fact its more of a critique. I argue against it because I wonder how audiences in the future will watch such films as I say, the Star Wars "Han shot first" issue. Another example is Die Hard 3 (As I would have been too young to see it at the cinema). After watching a portion of it on Sky HD Movies there was more swearing than in my Ultimate Die Hard DVD collection. Which version was shown at the cinema? Was it the more aggressive one? For what reason is my DVD edited? What else has been changed?

    Totally agree with what you say about showing the resolution that was originally there. I both love and hate HD. I guess its partly being old fashioned (and Stephen Sutcliffe-esque) in that you want to remember the films how you saw them. My problem with HD is the typical line up - HD is pushed behind computer games, 3D animation and of course special effect led films like Avatar and 300. Having recently watched both I soon got tired after watching sequences made from a computer. I shall be sure to read Jacques Ranciere. Intrigued by what you say “the bringing closer to 'reality' only destroys the image.” as it makes me digress into how real the new Tintin film looks, yet at the same time how animated it is. Maybe it is that overall cinema is a great illusion of reality we have been brought up with, to suddenly see it closer makes us weary? I wonder if a similar rant was made on the release of colour TV. Also I’m intrigued what would your thoughts be to seeing a prequel of an old film as discussed with the thing.

    And yeah I was going to write a footnote about The Thing From Another World, as Carpenters version at the time was extremely graphic and a marvel in modern technology as opposed to the looming suspense and evident lack of effects in the original. I find it very interesting that reviews of the prequel criticize showing too much of the alien thing making you blatantly aware of viewing special effects.

    ...sorry to ramble on. and stop calling me shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the original release of Withnail and I would have been through VHS"

    Surely a film print would be the original release? Actually, the filmed negative would be the original? Or would it?

    I remember Paolo Cherci Usai asserted an argument in his book The Death of Cinema that you can never really see a film - once it's filmed, watching it back even for the first time changes the film's nature and starts the process of decay. Reminds me of the mentality of collectors who buy something and never touch/play it/unwrap it - which reminds me, it's not long until it's 11/11/11 or Nigel Tufnel Day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ

    Ack, I've gone off on a tangent. Proper reply to follow soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. apologies, the original HOME release of Withnail and I would have been through VHS.
    Thanks for the comments guys, please keep em coming, iv a few things added to the old reading list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never know, it might have been Betamax? Hell, I'm just pickin' yer nits now!

    Good post though - and yet another proper reply to follow from me soon - and you should definitely watch Vinyl as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike when Ranciere talks about the image being destroyed when it is captured and presented is this destruction of the illusionary imagination caused because it is the views of an individual being made viewable to others? When that image of the singular imagination is pushed into the experience of others does this force their own imaginations to loose their very own singular individualism thus destroying imagination?


    Or is it that nothing from the imagination can truly be represented in the real and when someone attempts to capture it the thing that is caputured never truly accomplishes that image but only captures a representation. Does this then become the image of the imagination because that is what is viewable and replaces the original causing it to be destroyed?

    Or am I completely off on a tangent?

    ReplyDelete
  7. watch both Werner Herzogs Little Dieter Needs To Fly and Rescue Dawn. In a way it tackles what you are suggesting. Both films are on true events - the difference being the format of documentary and film respectively.
    Rescue Dawn(though a good film) is clearly a bad representation of Little Dieter (again a good film), which in turn is quite a tame account of fascinating events. It's all a filtering process.
    Having made a few films I've replayed a few moments I've enjoyed that I never batted an eyelid to when they actually happened (I'm sure Michael will agree with the video of us playing Monopoly when I fake farted on Amanda).
    I imagine what Kit is suggesting is that story telling is all very similar. Pub stories change perhaps not for dramatic impact/audience/effect but recollection. What you deduce from Dieter Dengler recalling traumatic events is his mental state of mind at such moments of shock and if he in face remembers events as they happened
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  8. i read that back and its quite obvious i wasnt giving this my full attention - sorry! hope you see what i was trying to get at though

    ReplyDelete