Expanded Cinema


This is a book I've finally got round to reading and I know John has known about it and wanted to read it for longer then me. Expanded Cinema was written by Gene Youngblood and published in 1970. As wikipedia would attest this was one of the first books to describe video as an art form and navigates through a discussion of what new audio visual technologies are capable of, are doing, should do and how it is reshaping communication in a process of transmutable radical evolution. I've been finding it really striking how he talks about generations of change and how this relates to our generation which is in a completely different century and millennium to when this was concieved. This book was very much about being on the cusp of something truly on the edge and totally different from previous generations experiences of the world but in the context of the now with this book  some 41 years old and in a moment where we are very much embedded in this world he contemplates - or doesn't - its a really fascinating read (When I read of the Global Intermedia Network I can't help think of the Internet) and I've found some parts really resonate. It's still early days into it mind but thought I'd share it with you guys cause I'm really enjoying it.

I've actually got the book but there is a PDF available on the net that you can download for free if you wish to.

Kit

1 comment:

  1. Weird! I started properly reading this the other week too, must be something in the air... just about to start Part Three. It's so good. I think this might be one of the few books I'll actually reread.

    Check out this work in progress trailer (25 minutes long!) for a documentary about Gene Youngblood:

    http://vimeo.com/15435334

    ReplyDelete