Forth Valley Open Studiost 4th of June


So the annual Forth Valley Open Studios Exhibition is upon us yet once again, however this year I have decided to enter this wall based/painting exhibition. I'm not actually sure what piece of povera arte that I should enter for this prestigious event. At the moment I am currently thinking about entering my pallet raised on bricks plinth accompanied by a cut out sign, saying 'Make Love Not Art' (see above) A direct response to Bob and Roberta Smiths work 'Make Art Not War'. I will hopefully have photos of the finished outcome tomorrow. Obviously I would have liked to submit the femmage to Duchamp How Come Ugly Gals Get Pregnant.   Out of all the text based work that I have posted up in the past couple of day, what do you all think would work best within this brown art environment?

Craig

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to see 'I could make this better' seems right for this occasion. making very clear the deliberate nature of your povera aesthetic but also perhaps offering a genuine desire to improve the the arts in falkirk.....

    Plus I have another bob and roberta piece you need to see if you haven't before.. I'll scan it tomorrow if I get the chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think you could be right on that one Sam I think I am trying to take the piss out of the whole exhibition and the work on display a little bit too much, becoming too self absorbed with that idea. I'm currently working on a cut out version of that at the moment. I am thinking about setting up an exhibition in my studio for the open studios so the ones that I don't use can always be on display there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm I think you should be wary of taking the piss too much, trying to find a way of engaging with the show whilst subtly undermining it would maybe be more positive.

    An idea that keeps coming back to me recently is that it is far easier to define yourself by what you are against than by what are for.... dunno if that makes sense in this situation...

    Having your studio open as well sounds like a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete