Some People From Around Here 2011

So, following on from a (partially wine and chip fuelled) conversation I had with Craig the other week, I'm starting to make work again. Hurrah.

Since the demise of BadgerBadger and my attempt at an ever-dissappearing Masters course, Real Life has taken hold, and apart from a couple of lacklustre blog attempts and the odd article any creative work has been on a bit of a go slow. So what changed? Now that more and more of us are in the same place, I've started to venture out to shows again (well, who would want to go to an opening on their own and stand awkwardly in the corner), and start thinking about creative processes again.  I also became involved with the Glasgow Roller Girls, and the DIY aspect of the sport made me yearn for the days of everyone mucking in to set an event or exhibition up, and how fun and rewarding it was. Cue me making a haphazard piece of shit for Paradies and wondering where to go next.

The conversation that has been playing on my mind was regarding Vettriano copying paintings out of books in order to make his fortune. I started to think about re-cycling ideas, how everything has been done before. Even if the interpretation is personal, the idea is far from original. The project that I have settled on reflects this, I want re-interpret other peoples ideas as something personal to the collective.



I'm going to start with Some People From Around Here, made by Harrell Fletcher and Jon Rubin in 1996. Despite having completely slated the work in Your Place or Mine?, for ArtArtArt's Between Dialogues (which can be found here), I do quite like the idea of the portraits being used in an exhibitionist manner. Therefore, I'm going to recreate this work as Some People From Around Here 2011 for the next Black Swan exhibition, using portraits of all of us. Because there really is nothing like blatant self-promotion.

Can you all send me a picture you would like to be used, please? I'll get to work and post updates of the process and the successes and failures of my attempt to be an artist again.

Jen Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment